Hello and we’re back with our microwave kitchen gremlin ways.
Introduction: Mac and Cheese
As a Filipino, Mac and Cheese didn’t really feature much in my diet. I’m obviously generalizing –I have no idea how it is for other households— but anyway. I digress.
Mac and cheese is a high-carb high-fat high-everything dish that can easily fill you up. I occasionally have it as a side dish with roasted chicken or ribs, or as a dorm-friendly dinner.
Ingredients for Mac and Cheese
- 1/2 cup elbow macaroni (though we only had salad macaroni –a kind of short tube pasta— at home)
- 1/2 cup of water (enough to cover the macaroni)
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese (does Eden cheese even count as cheddar…)
- Salt and pepper to taste
My mom found the taste bland, so I ended up adding another 2 tablespoons of shredded cheddar cheese for her mug.
Mac and Cheese Recipe
This recipe is so lazy that (1) I can do it in my sleep, (2) you do it with a microwave, and (3) it’s based almost entirely from this Tasty recipe online. I did change things up a bit.
Prep time: 1 minute
Cook time: 5 minutes
So really this recipe takes around 6-7 minutes total
and my post title is misleading. But because I had to do it for 4 people, it took me around 25 minutes. In hindsight I should have just done everything in a proper pot instead of abusing our poor microwave, but I was too lazy to wash more dishes.
- Mix the macaroni, water and a pinch of salt in a microwaveable mug.
- Microwave for 2-4 minutes, then stir. The water should have boiled. Check to make sure that the pasta is already mostly cooked! I personally cooked my pasta in intervals of 2 minutes.
- Add the milk, cheese, salt and pepper. Stir.
- Microwave for another 30 seconds and stir.
And regret your life decisions, to be honest. This was actually super filling. I think I should have ratioed everything down to 1/3 or even 1/4 cup of salad macaroni.
Until next time!
Your resident kitchen gremlin ❤️