Since discovering this no-fuss recipe, I have made this sandwich probably five times in as many weeks.
Introduction: The Breakfast Sandwich
This viral egg sandwich is genius.
(I have no idea what this is actually called. I’ve been seeing a variation or other of this recipe on YouTube, Twitter and Tiktok.)
I think this is the video that I first followed. Except I added ham. And then bacon the second time.
It’s a quick and easy way to make breakfast. There’s no need to make a mess of your counter or to use too many cooking pans. Everything happens inside the pan…
HOWEVER, I will advocate that the original version has way too much cholesterol. Most recipes I’ve seen recommend 2 to 3 eggs per sandwich. That is ridiculous.
So I’m posting a variation that only uses 1 egg. It’s not as satisfying in terms of viral potential, but I guarantee it’s way healthier!
Ingredients: The ‘Healthy’ Breakfast Sandwich
For each sandwich, you’ll need:
- 2 slices of bread – I used tall focaccia bread, but plain white bread would be fine
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 slice of cheddar cheese
- 1 slice of ham (or equivalent in bacon)
- Salt and pepper
- Rosemary, spring onions – optional
The Breakfast Sandwich Recipe
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 5 minutes
- Beat egg in a shallow dish. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Dip slices of bread in egg mixture, coating both sides evenly.
- Grease pan with unsalted butter.
- Cook eggy bread slices. Pour any remaining egg mixture in between the slices of bread.
- Season bread with rosemary as desired. (I really love the taste of rosemary recently).
- Flip the eggy bread slice over. Add cheese to one side and ham to the other.
- Fold sandwich. Cook and turn until browned on both sides. Watch the cheese melt!
- Garnish with spring onions and other herbs.
This is seriously my go-to breakfast menu when I can’t be bothered to think of what to make. It never gets old!
Until next time!
❤️ Your resident kitchen gremlin